Appaloosa

I'll be the first to tell you, I'm an Ed Harris whore. After The Abyss, that dude has to work pretty hard to disappoint me. But the great casting for this flick goes on, and on, and on. Viggo Mortensen. Lance Henrickson. That one dude from Cliffhanger. Then theres the ever hideous Rene Zellwegger, who looks more and more like Carrottop everyday, but lets just ignore her and her dumb character.

I'll also be the first to tell you the genre of western film isn't really my bag either. I hate the cliche stuff, so westerns are difficult for me to stomach unless they are unique or twist 'cowboys and indians' on its side. This film does that. I was quite surprised to hear them cracking jokes, and doing seriously non-cowboy things like reading and trying to improve their vocabulary.

They shot some stuff too. The story is pretty servicable, even if it seems to meander around and get lost in the third act, but who cares. The real story here is the interactions between the main characters. The relationships are more interesting than who's rustlin' who's cattle or bangin' who's girlfriend or shootin' whoevers sheriff.

I guess what I'm saying is I approve.

8.5/10

Comments

  1. Winter Passing was Ed Harris as I'd never seen him before (haggard wraith writing in an alcoholic fog.) Zooey and Will only made it better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I Edit My Podcast.